About Sireen

Sireen Khudairy, a 24 year old Palestinian teacher and non-violent activist was arrested at 4am on Tuesday 7th January 2014. Israeli occupation forces broke into the home where she was staying, and took her away, without showing a warrant for her arrest.

This is the second time Sireen has been kidnapped and incarcerated by the occupation forces, and follows 8 months of harassment of Sireen and her family.

Her family are asking all her Palestinian and International friends and supporters to:

  • publicise Sireen’s case
  • lobby elected representatives to put pressure in the IOF to stop their intimidation and harassment of Sireen and her family, and to immediately release her

Background to Sireen’s case

Incarceration: May to July 2013
Release from prison
11th November 2013 raid on Sireen’s home
Sireen’s family home raided again on 27th November
Sireen forced to go into hiding

Incarceration: May to July 2013

Sireen was kidnapped and imprisoned by the occupation forces on 15th May 2013. Later that night around twenty-five Israeli Army jeeps entered the town of Tubas and broke into the house where Sireen’s family were sleeping. They were kept into one room for several hours without food, water or blankets, despite the presence of two children.

Sireen spent the first 22 days of her detention in a cell on her own. Not only was she isolated from other prisoners, but she was prevented from seeing her lawyer or her family. Her ‘court’ appearances were within the prison, so family or friends were unable to attend.

See https://freesireen.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/free-sireen-sawafteh-arrested-by-israel-on-the-14th-may-2013/ for more details.

Release from prison

She was held in an Israeli prison until 15th July, when she was released. Her family had to pay NIS 7000. (€1495) for her release. She was released on condition that she would not leave her home and would not use the internet – thus isolating her from all but her immediate family and preventing her from continuing her studies. She was ordered to return to court on 16th September, when she was found not guilty, but still ordered not to engage in any activism for 5 years.

See https://freesireen.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/update-about-sireens-release-2/ for more details

11th November 2013 raid on Sireen’s home

At 3:00am, Tuesday 11th of November, some twenty IOF raided Sireen’s family home. Sireen was not in the house at the time.

No warrant was shown, although an unsigned, unofficial piece of paper was presented giving vague instructions for Sireen. The instructions are confusing for two reasons: the paper instructed Sireen to report to the police at Tayasir Checkpoint, which is run by the army, not the police. Also the date given for Sireen to report there was the previous day, Monday.

No reason for the raid was given and it is unusual that the army is delivering orders on behalf of the police.

One day after the raid, on the 12th of November the Palestinian authority delivered a second document stating that Sireen Khudairy has to report to Mossad. Sireen went into hiding for her own safety.

See https://freesireen.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/night-raid-of-sireens-family-home/ for more details

Sireen’s family home raided again on 27th November

At 2:00am on the 27th November, two large bus loads of Israeli soldiers and four jeeps invaded Tubas town. Around 60 Soldiers entered Sireen’s family home and arrested Waleed, her brother, in front of his wife and four children.

They forcibly took Waleed with them to six other homes, interrogating the occupants in Waleed’s presence. When the IOF were attacked by local youths in Tammoun they used Waleed as a human shield. They then took him to Hamra checkpoint, and released him at 7.00am.

See https://freesireen.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/israeli-occupation-forces-invade-tubas-activists-home/ for more details.

Sireen forced to go into hiding

Following the raid on her family home, on 11th November 2013, and the continuing intimidation and harassment of herself and her family, Sireen was unable to return home for fear that she will be kidnapped by the Israeli Occupation Forces. For the safety of herself and her family she had to go into hiding.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s